Monday, July 27, 2009

Day Three was much better..

Day three was considerably better than day two, even though day two ended up being pretty damn cool at the end.

We headed out to explore and find this fabled Most Awesomeness of beaches we had heard about. Generally I'm a walk to the beach kinda girl. We've had to drive about 40 minutes to get to really great places so far, but let me tell you.. it's been worth it.

Puako Bay where we snorkle and spearfish is unreal gorgeous. And today, just beyond Puako we found Hapuna. Seriously.. google pictures of it. We didn't take pictures of it yesterday. That will be remedied, however, because none of the pictures on google even come close to doing justice to the absolute speechless, stunning wonder that is Hapuna Beach.

Think.. this riot of green, lush foilage.. walking down onto the most gorgeous white sand, and the water is gin clear. Tinted the most amazing turquoise blue you can imagine.. all this is framed by coconut palm trees, and a cloud streaked blue sky that rivals Colorado. It was a weekend day, and not crowded at all. The sun was INTENSE!! We were boogie boarding when the sea turtle came to play...

If you can picture the most perfect beach paradise in your mind.. with cool offshore breezes, and amazing waves.. that is where I was yesterday.

We laid out in the sun for a short while, and dipped back in the cool ocean before rinsing off at the beach showers and heading back to town for our customary afternoon nap.

I've been sleeping for three hours every day.. and then full eight hour nights.. I think my body must be catching up.

So we napped, and then took off to walk around town briefly. I still have a decent amount of pain from the sea urchin, so short trips are about all I can take. I wanted to have a "Hawaiian Shave Ice" from this place just down the drive from the hotel, so we headed there first. A only had his credit card, and the Shave Ice Man only took cash, so we were getting ready to mosey along when he said "Hey.. how long you here for?"

We told him all week, and he said he would give us our shaved ice tonight, because he was certain we would come back, and we could pay him then.. Not only that, but in doing so he could have gave us some little bitty shaved ice, and sent us on our way, right? But he didn't. He chatted us up, made HUGE snow cones. Gave us samples of flavours we weren't sure of, and mixed three flavors on each cone. I had Hawaiian Surprise, Tiger's Blood, and Hui Mingh Na.

Wow.

He told us how to make a Tequila cordial with the seeds of the Hui Mingh Na plant and lemon peel.. How he has sold shaved ice in Alaska to Eskimos.. And after being robbed yesterday, restored my faith in humanity to a great extent. It's rare to find a person willing to trust you like that. Even more rare to find a person worthy of that trust.. but believe you me. We'll be back. We'll pay him back, and buy more shaved ice, and tip him exceptionally well for his kindness.. and optimism.

Sometimes the universe gives, and sometimes the universe takes.

So after the night before's oceanic display, and after hearing there was an even more severe high surf advisory last night.. we ambled down by the sea wall of the hotel again.. The night before I saw waves bigger than I ever had before.. awesome, thundering waves. But last night's put them all to shame. The small waves were bigger than the ones from the night before.

I couldn't believe my eyes. I sat there awestruck as these monoliths surged to shore, clapping loudly as they struck the lava. The water just seethed around the rocks, and the power of the moment left me speechless and breathless.

Now water is my element, anyhow and I feel at home, restored and more alive when I'm near it or in it.. but that kind of display.. stunning. And still.. when it settled down between sets, it was absolutely perfectly clear. Even in the dark you could see the clarity, and little tiny fish swimming in the pools left behind.

I've seen more new things in the last three days than I have in three years.. or longer.

What a rush..

1 comment:

  1. So lovely to read of your trip and so happy for you two that you were able to take it! How is life now that you are back? Want more of Cari Bou!

    ReplyDelete